If you are in the market for accurate yet fast vessel
design, structural modeling and part nesting, then read
on. Autoship Systems Corporation (ASC) has developed
a complete CAD/CAM suite to meet the CAD/CAM needs in
marine vessel design and construction. In this article,
we review two key programs in the CAD/CAM suite: Autostructure
3.0 and Production Manager 3.0.
Autostructure and Production Manager are key
components in the Autoship CAD/CAM suite. These two
state-of-the-art programs offer shipyards all they need
in structural design, pre-construction drawing preparation
and part nesting, and at very affordable prices.
Autostructure is used to create a 3D model of
a vessel structure and to output the parts of that model
in CAD format. The CAD representation can be used either
to prepare construction drawings or for input to NC
cutting processors. Autostructure utilizes an
Autoship-generated hull and/or superstructure
and can also include the shell plate information created
in Autoplate. (Autoship and Autoplate
are programs in the Autoship Systems CAD/CAM suite).
Every aspect of Autostructure was designed to
allow parts to be created quickly and with minimal input.
While there is a general workflow, no set ways or sequences
are forced upon the user, thus enabling maximum productivity
with minimum effort. And since parts can be generated
rapidly, mistakes can be quickly and easily remedied.
Also, if a part is changed or moved, Autostructure
can update the surrounding structure for you, saving
you time and effort.
Autostructure parametric frame and deck beam
design system, master and detail design dialogues
The tools that Autostructure
1) A part database with a powerful categorization system
2) The ability to rapidly cut parts to the shell and/or
3) Sophisticated 2D part editing
4) Comprehensive CAD output
5) Extensive reporting capabilities
6) A user-expandable Material library
7) Library of user-designed brackets
8) Parametric frame and deck beam design
Autostructure has an interface with the piping
design system "AutoPLANT" by Bentley
Systems Inc. Data exchange between the two programs
allows for coordination of design between piping designers
and structure designers, hence avoiding costly rework
on the vessel construction site.
All parts designed in Autostructure can be imported
into Production Manager for nesting and related processing.
Production Manager provides sheet and linear (extrusion,
flat bar) nesting, part subdivision, weld shrinkage
compensation, stock definition, stock inventory and
stock remnant management.
Production Manager's key features
- Takes part information from the Autostructure
- Subdivision of sheet parts and extrusions to fit
- Dimensional compensation for weld shrinkage
- Stock definition for sheet, extrusion and flat bar
- Automatic sheet nesting with a choice of algorithms
- Optional manual or mixed manual-automatic nesting
- User definition of stock edge allowance and inter-part
- Part in hole nesting
- Batch nesting of multiple sheets
- Flat bars nested either as sheet parts or by linear
- Optimal use of extrusion stock
- User defined sheet remnants
- Nesting on remnants
- Optional inventory acquisition for sheet, extrusions
and flat bars
- Automatic inventory deduction when nestings are
- Remnant inventory control
- Nesting drawing exported directly to AutoCAD
- Multiple drawing layers for part outlines, openings,
marks and labels
- Nesting reports
- Part tracking identifies all parts cut from a single
sheet and its remnants
Together, Autostructure and Production Manager
give you complete control over vessel structure design
and nesting, plus integration with third party piping.
These components have completed the ASC CAD/CAM suite.
The marketplace has already responded favourably.
The Autoship CAD/CAM suite:
a quick overview
The ASC CAD/CAM suite includes programs used for vessel
surface modeling, hydrostatic and strength analyses,
powering, structural modeling, plate expansion and nesting.
The programs are fully integrated, so the transfer of
the model from one program to the next is both error
free and effortless. Standard file exchanges are fully
supported allowing data exchange with many third party
programs. Click on Products
and Services for more information.
To learn more about Autostructure 3.0 or Production
Manager 3.0, or any of ASC's other CAD/CAM software,
click on Contact
Us to find the authorized Autoship Systems dealer
closest to you.