3D Modelling and Detailed Design
Bentley AutoPLANT® Piping
is an object based 3D piping system design and modelling
application that runs on AutoCAD®.
The system is built on powerful object oriented technology,
yet it is easy to use and customize. The software enables
users to interactively route and place piping components
in a 3D environment. Piping can be used to generate
orthographic and isometric drawings and report quantities
from the 3D model.
AutoPLANT Piping provides state-of-the-art 3D
modelling capabilities previously unavailable in any
AutoCAD-based package. This capability is achieved through
ObjectARX technology, using 3D objects to represent
plant components. These custom objects provide superior
representations from any viewing perspective while using
a fraction of the file size required using standard
AutoPLANT Key Features:
- Use standard AutoCAD commands (move, stretch,
copy, mirror, etc.)
- Modular menu layout groups components together
by type (HVAC, cable tray, conduit, Instruments, plastic
piping, ductile iron, high purity and tubing)
- Insert one or more items into an existing pipe
- Create and insert assemblies of components
- Display single or double line representations
- Single line components display correctly in all
- Flexible placement features
- Relative placement from a component or other
known point (wall, building column, etc.)
- Alignment to intersection with ports on other components
- Insert from any point on a component (such as the
branch, center, or run of a tee)
- Automatically aligns to ports of connected components
Piping utilizes a "spec driven" design approach,
which maximizes quality by ensuring compliance with
applicable design criteria. Active database links ensure
correlation between the graphical and descriptive data
in the model.
AutoPLANT Piping includes hundreds of catalogues
representing either dimensional standards or manufacturer
specific components. These catalogues include hundreds
of thousands of items used to create specific specifications
for your project requirements. Components placed in
a design model are parametric objects with a high degree
AutoPLANT Piping works seamlessly with other
Bentley design and information management technologies.
The 3D piping model is automatically integrated with
the schematic information entered using Bentley Datasheets,
P&ID, or Instrumentation. Powerful creation and
checking tools verify the consistency and completeness
of the piping design. The Bentley plant project database
can also be integrated with your plant and business
systems to make the most of your valuable information
For more information on AutoPLANT, visit www.bentley.com.
Autostructure and AutoPLANT
In order to provide Autostructure users with
a piping design solution, there is a mechanism for partially
automated data exchange between AutoPLANT and
Autostructure. The underlying principle is that
piping designers do not make changes to structure, rather
they request changes, which are then reviewed and acted
upon by structure designers.
The Design Process
The Structure Designer
1. The structure design is produced in Autostructure.
2. The structure designer then exports the model to
The Piping Designer
1. In AutoPLANT, the piping designer is prompted
to select penetrating pipes and confirm their locations.
2. At the end of the design session, a penetration report
The Structure Designer
1. In the Autostructure Penetration Report Screen
dialogue, the structure designer reviews each penetration
2. The structure designer decides to accept or reject
the penetrations, perform necessary cutting, reinforcing,
3. His decisions are sent back to the piping designer.
AutoPLANT®, Bentley, the "B"
Bentley logo, Navigator and Piping are either
registered or unregistered trademarks or service marks
of Bentley Systems, Incorporated or Bentley Software,
Inc., in the USA and /or other countries.